I decided to do a post about writing for websites and why good web copy goes hand in hand with my other SEO services. If you have a website or a blog, you will have been faced with the task of putting hand to keyboard at some point (that’s the modern version of putting pen to paper), and thought ‘What should I write? ’ or ‘Where do I start with the content ?’
The online world is filling up with more and more content . So it’s vital that the ones you put ‘out there’ are of benefit for your reader – who will click away from you immediately if you don’t get it right. Equally, this content can gain better search rankings for your pages .
Websites, Blog Pages, Press Releases and other Social Media
Copy isn’t something to consider for your websites and blog pages alone. Online press releases are a great way of updating your clients and the world with your latest news and can create lots of links to enhance your website’s reputation . Sound bites on LinkedIn and Twitter to name just two create yet more links and require another style of writing .
For a moment, think about how you search for something on the internet . After entering the search terms you get a page of listings which includes organic (unpaid) and adverts . Each entry has just two lines of copy to attract your attention. The same is true of your web pages. In those two lines, you must tell the prospect what you do, include your keywords and get them to click on your link. All this is normally covered in SEO Courses . Which brings me onto the all important topic of keywords.
The importance of using good keywords in your copy cannot be over emphasised. If you have a limited budget, obtaining accurate and in-depth keyword analysis from an expert SEO services provider should be top of your list of priorities.
Why good copy helps with SEO
- It puts the keywords out there, so blocks the competition
- Writing often keeps the blog or website updated which means the pages are crawled by the search spiders more frequently
- If it’s good (ie readable) it keeps the reader on your pages longer – scoring points and less bounce
- Copy can direct the reader where you want them to go, e.g. from a blog page onto your website where you can be more active about selling them something.
- It can also be used to help people navigate around your website, e.g. internal links will take them to next stage or encourage them to contact you. Internal links are also a plus with the search engines.
Including good copy in your webpages is often overlooked, with more attention being paid to fancy design .
To get a better understanding of Search Engine Optimization, you can learn more by taking SEO courses. DIY SEO is not for everyone, but as it has to be done, you can engage someone else to supply SEO services for you to strengthen your online presence .
5 Responses to “Reasons for writing good web content”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.